Summer of Basics FO #2 and #3: Archer Shirt and Jamie Jeans


I finally finished the big projects for the Summer of Basics!! (I also wanted to do a bag but I didn’t get the chance ).
These were intended to go well together and make a full outfit and I think I managed it, I’m testing it out today.

The Archer Shirt:
For the Archer shirt I wanted something cute and that I would actually wear. After a lot of thought I decided to do the version with the different back, like a ruffle, and I went with short sleeves.
To get the length of the sleeves I took the sleeve pattern piece from the Scout tee (also by Grainline studio) and put it on top of the Archer and copied that length.
I was really scared of sewing this shirt and I must say, it wasn’t difficult at all!. I took it step by step, without cramping all in a single day and it all went fine. Also the sewalong from Grainline studios was a great resource.
I think the fit is good, not too tight or too oversized. To be honest I will have to wear it a few times before I decide if I like it, this is not my typical kind of shirt.

The Jamie Jeans:
This was another pattern that scared me, and this time I have to say I was kind of right. The sewing is pretty straight forward except for the zipper, where you actually have to stop and look at the pictures and instructions and your own pair of RTW jeans so your brain understands what’s going on. The hardest part was judging the fit. I thought the fit was great when I try them on at the basting stage, but they turned out too big. I think I just forgot that the stretch denim will, well, stretch when worn and therefore they had to be skin tight when sewn.
But this pair was precisely meant to be for practice. I think the next one will be much better.



Summer of Basics FO #1: The Linden Sweatshirt

The fabric
My finished Linden sweatshirt

I’ve been looking for a sweatshirt pattern for sometime now. At first I thought that the Linden wasn’t for me because of the raglan sleeves. I normally like the style of the set-in sleeves. But a crafty friend of mine insisted that this was a great sweatshirt and after seeing her versions I had to agree (thanks Tania!). So I got the pattern all printed and assembled and the fabric ready to go and just then I found the Halifax hoodie, which had all the variations I wanted, set-in sleeves, options for pullover or cardi and a hood. So at that time (about March 2017) I went for the Halifax hoodie instead. As it turns out I haven’t finished that because I haven’t found the right zipper for my hoodie, but as soon as I find it I will be able to talk about my halifax hoodie.

As the summer of basics came along, the idea of a very needed sweatshirt was still in my head and this time I decided to go ahead with the Linden.

I cut it in 15 min, as I was able to cut it all on my dinning table, much better and faster than the floor. Then I procrastinated for a day or two and then finally sewed it in about 30 min!

Maybe it was all my previous experience sewing with knits and with Grainline studio patterns, but I only had to take a look at the instructions booklet once, make a test of the stitch I was using, and sew the thing. It is 16 seams and that is all. It is so easy to put together and the result is so nice. This is a true basic and I adore it.


  • Pattern is Linden sweatshirt by Grainline studio
  • I cut size 6, which is a size smaller than the recommended for my bust size of 36″ and it fits me ok. Might try to make size 8 next time to test it.
  • My fabric is a flowery french terry fabric from JP Stoffe.
  • I used a small 2 x 2 zig zag to sew all seams and a stretch stitch (something that my machine has) for the neck top-stitching, all with all purpose Gutermann thread.